Thembelihle protest case struck of roll
The case against 14 people arrested during service delivery protests in Thembelihle last year has been struck from the roll of the Protea Regional Court, the National Prosecuting Authority (NPA) said on Thursday.
“On (Tuesday), after authorising warrants of arrests for three accused who were not before court, the matter was struck off the roll,” NPA Gauteng South spokeswoman Kholeka Gcaleka said in a statement.
The prosecution and police would ensure the matter was speedily reinstated, she said.
The Socio-Economic Rights Institute of SA (SERI), which represented the accused, said on Wednesday that the charges had not been defined.
“The charge sheet finally presented (on Tuesday) did not describe the nature of the offences that the accused were charged with,” said attorney Teboho Mosikili.
In September, about 500 Thembelihle residents barricaded Klipspruit Valley Road with stones and burning tyres.
They set fire to three electricity load centres, causing damage of R1.5 million and depriving most of Lenasia extensions nine to 11 of power from Monday night to 3am that Wednesday.
A total of 38 people were arrested during the protest, which was over housing and water issues. – Sapa