Thulsie twins to spend another Christmas behind bars
Share this article:
Johannesburg - The Johannesburg High Court on Tuesday postponed pretrial proceedings of the terror accused twins Brandon-Lee and Tony-Lee Thulsie to next year to allow for arguments on the constitutionality of the Terrorism Act.
The twins have been in custody since they were arrested in July 2016 on suspicion of plotting terrorist attacks on various Jewish institutions in South Africa and individuals as well as attempting to join terror group ISIL. They were 23 years old when they were picked up by police.
Defence attorney Annelene van den Heever for the twins, told Judge Raylene Keightley that all parties had agreed on postponing the matter.
Keightley said that she would set aside Tuesday's arguments and ordered that the minister of police be present for the proceedings.
Asked if there was any movement on the declaration of the constitutionality of the Terrorism Act in another matter, state prosecutor, Chris MacAdam, said judgement had been reserved and might be handed down in February or March.
However, Van Den Heever had argued that the issues in that case were not similar to the issues she was arguing regarding the Terrorism Act.
The matter was postponed to 20 February. The accused remain in custody.