Cape Town - A Brooklyn couple appeared in the Cape Town Magistrates’ Court on Monday, where they heard that in addition to charges of robbery and attempted murder, they will face an attempted rape charge too.
Vincent Walters, 49, and his girlfriend Noleen De Grame, 50, rose from the cells into the light of courtroom 16 squinting.
Walters wore a black coat with the collar up, while De Grame had on a grey and black top.
The two have been in custody since their arrest on November 21.
Two weeks ago Theresa Simons, 53, a mother of four, claimed that the two had attacked her after she and her husband had invited them for drinks at her Brooklyn home.
The community worker claimed after finishing four boxes of wine, and her husband went to sleep in the park, she narrowly escaped death when the couple suddenly turned “demonic”.
She claimed they sucked her blood, leaving what appeared to be tooth marks on her hip.
According to Simons, prayer saved her as she was drugged, bitten, stabbed and burnt with cigarettes.
She accused De Grame, her friend of two years, of holding her down, while Walters tried to rape her.
They threatened to kill her and claimed Satan wanted her, she said at the time.
State prosecutor Mr Cavallo said the attempted rape charge was added after consultation had taken place between all
“Along with the charge of robbery and attempted murder, a charge of attempted rape is also added,” he said.
“We have already decided on dates for the bail applications to be brought by the defence and we have set out two days for this application to take place. The state will be opposing bail.”
Representing the accused, Mr Mentor said he had no issue with the bail application dates as set out previously, but he had one request, medication for De Grame.
“My client is on permanent medication, but has not received all of them. I ask the Judge to please re-endorse a J7 form, so she may receive all her medication this time and not just part of them as before,” said Mentor.
Mentor said an address for his clients have yet to be verified.
“For now we are agreed on the dates for the bail application,” he said.
The suspects appeared shocked by the court proceedings and shook their heads as they descended into the dark holding cells.
They are back in court on 29 and 30 December for their formal bail application.