Vigil after fourth murder in two months

Strandfontein residents joined their Community Policing Forum to hold a vigil after yet another resident was murdered at the weekend.

Strandfontein residents joined their Community Policing Forum to hold a vigil after yet another resident was murdered at the weekend.

Published Sep 7, 2015

Share

Cape Town - More than 1 000 people came together to hold a vigil in Strandfontein at the weekend after the murder of a fourth man in the area in just over two months.

Lyle Eyden, 25, became the latest resident to be murdered in there when he was stabbed to death in the early hours of Saturday.

Eyden’s murder follows that of Brandon Thomas a week ago, and Sedick Isaacs and Chad Baron just over two months ago.

Police spokesperson Frederick van Wyk said Eyden was stabbed once in the chest close to his home in Pilot Way.

“Circumstances surrounding a stabbing incident on Saturday at about 2.30am, when a 25-year-old man was stabbed once in the upper body in Pilot Way, are under investigation. A murder case was opened for investigation. No arrests have been made,” Van Wyk said.

Eyden’s mother, Melanie, attended a vigil for the four men in Pilot Way on Saturday night, but was too distraught to speak to the Cape Times on Sunday.

Strandfontein Community Policing Forum (CPF) chairperson Sandy Schuter said the vigil had been organised by CPF members, street committees and the neighbourhood watch.

“I am glad we had such a great response, especially from the residents. The idea is to encourage the community to stand together to show the criminals that we are serious about fighting crime.

“The residents of Strandfontein are being held hostage by drug addicts and thieves who will resort to murder to get their next fix.

“Together we must break free of this and let the criminals know there’s no place for them here,” she said.

Schuter said there were concerns that criminals from other areas were coming into Strandfontein to commit crime.

“This is not always the case because the perpetrators arrested for recent murders were Strandfontein residents. Our own children are killing our children,” she said.

Schuter also lauded police, saying they were doing an excellent job despite a lack of resources.

Latiefa Kamish, 57, mother of Isaacs, 37, who was strangled to death in July, said residents were now living in fear.

“It was never like this. You could walk around freely and sleep with your doors open. It’s getting out of hand now,” she said.

Mitchells Plain and Strandfontein Cluster CPF chairperson Hanif Loonat said: “I applaud the Strandfontein CPF for mobilising the people on such short notice.

“Residents are asking for nothing more than peace and safety for their loved ones. Is this asking too much from our government? I don’t think so.”

Meanwhile, Van Wyk said a 42-year-old man was shot dead in Lentegeur at 8pm on Saturday.

He said Mitchells Plain Cluster police arrested 433 suspects last week for various crimes in the area.

[email protected]

Cape Times

Related Topics: