FILE - In this April 26, 2016 file photo, Charlie Rose attends the TIME 100 Gala, celebrating the 100 most influential people in the world in New York. The Washington Post says eight women have accused television host Charlie Rose of multiple unwanted sexual advances and inappropriate behavior. CBS News suspended Charlie Rose and PBS is to halt production and distribution of a show following the sexual harassment report. (Photo by Evan Agostini/Invision/AP, File)

PBS has ended its partnership with Charlie Rose, host of its long-running interview show, after several women accused him of sexual misconduct.

The 75-year-old Rose has interviewed newsmakers in the media, entertainment, business and politics weeknights on PBS' schedule since 1991. 

PBS had suspended his show late Monday after The Washington Post published an article about women who said he groped them and walked around naked in front of them.

While PBS has distributed the program, it is produced by a company owned by Rose.

In a statement, PBS said that the service "expects all the producers we work with to provide a workplace where people feel safe and are treated with dignity and respect."

PBS' announcement that it was terminating its relationship with the host came an hour after CBS News announced it was terminating Rose, who hosted "CBS This Morning" and contributed to "60 Minutes."

READ MORE: Charlie Rose apologises for 'inappropriate behaviour'

CBS said Rose's employment had been "terminated" with immediate effect after what it called "extremely disturbing and intolerable behavior" revealed by eight women in the Washington Post newspaper on Monday.

"A short time ago we terminated Charlie Rose's employment with CBS News, effective immediately," the network said in a statement.

"CBS News has reported on extraordinary revelations at other media companies this year and last. Our credibility in that reporting requires credibility managing basic standards of behavior. That is why we have taken these actions," it added.

The channel, where Rose had co-hosted "CBS This Morning" and was a contributing correspondent for "60 Minutes," had already suspended Rose on Monday.

The bombshell Post report said the eight women were employees or aspired to work on the broadcaster's eponymous "Charlie Rose," which aired on public broadcaster PBS.

They complained that the unwanted advances included lewd phone calls, groping and walking naked in front of them. All were in their 20s and 30s when the alleged harassment took place from the 1990s to as recently as 2011.

Rose, now 75, is the latest in a series of powerful men accused of misconduct in the wake of the downfall of Hollywood mogul Harvey Weinstein, which opened the floodgates of sexual assault and harassment accusations in many industries.

Rose on Monday issued a public statement apologizing for what he called "inappropriate behavior" and said he was "greatly embarrassed," but that he did "not believe that all of these allegations are accurate."

AFP and AP