Goma, Democratic Republic of Congo - Unidentified attackers killed two Ebola health workers in eastern Congo over the weekend, the health ministry said, the latest in a string of assaults that have hampered efforts to stop the deadly spread of the virus.
Local mistrust of health officials and militia violence in Congo's restive east have caused the number of new cases to surge. Nearly 2 500 people have been infected and more than 1 600 killed in the second biggest outbreak on record.
Dozens of responders have been injured or killed in attacks this year.
The two people killed, who were community workers near Mukulia in North Kivu province, had been receiving threats since December and one had been attacked previously, the ministry said in a statement.
The first case of Ebola in the eastern Congo city of Goma was discovered on Sunday, raising concerns the virus could spread quicker in a densely populated area close to the Rwandan border.