Independent Online

Tuesday, August 9, 2022

Like us on FacebookFollow us on TwitterView weather by locationView market indicators

US choir ravaged by coronavirus after continuing rehearsals

An emergency triage tent at Harborview Medical Center as efforts continue to help slow the spread of coronavirus disease in Seattle, Washington. Picture: Jason Redmond/Reuters

An emergency triage tent at Harborview Medical Center as efforts continue to help slow the spread of coronavirus disease in Seattle, Washington. Picture: Jason Redmond/Reuters

Published Mar 30, 2020


Mount Vernon, Washington - With the coronavirus quickly

spreading in Washington state in early March, leaders of the Skagit

Story continues below Advertisement

Valley Chorale debated whether to go ahead with weekly rehearsal.

The virus was already killing people in the Seattle area, about an

hour's drive to the south.

Story continues below Advertisement

But Skagit County hadn't reported any cases, schools and business

remained open, and prohibitions on large gatherings had yet to be


Story continues below Advertisement

On March 6 Adam Burdick, the choir's conductor, informed the 121

members in an email that, amid the "stress and strain of concerns

about the virus," practice would proceed as scheduled at Mount Vernon

Story continues below Advertisement

Presbyterian Church.

"I'm planning on being there this Tuesday March 10, and hoping many

of you will be, too," he wrote.

Sixty singers showed up. A greeter offered hand sanitizer at the

door, and members refrained from the usual hugs and handshakes.

"It seemed like a normal rehearsal, except that choirs are huggy

places," Burdick recalled. "We were making music and trying to keep a

certain distance between each other."

After 2 hours, the singers parted ways at 9pm.

Nearly three weeks later, 45 have been diagnosed with Covid-19 or are

ill with the symptoms, at least three have been hospitalized and two

are dead.

The outbreak has stunned county health officials, who have concluded

that the virus was almost certainly transmitted through the air from

one or more people without symptoms.

"That's all we can think of right now," said Polly Dubbel, a county

communicable disease and environmental health manager.

In interviews with the Los Angeles Times, eight people who were at

the rehearsal said that nobody there was coughing or sneezing or

appeared ill.

Everybody came with their own sheet music and avoided direct physical

contact. Some members helped set up or remove folding chairs. A few

helped themselves to mandarins that had been put out on a table in


Experts said the choir outbreak is consistent with a growing body of

evidence that the virus can be transmitted through aerosols

- particles smaller than 5 micrometers that can float in the air for

minutes or longer.

The World Health Organization has downplayed the possibility of

transmission in aerosols, stressing that the virus is spread through

much larger "respiratory droplets," which are emitted when an

infected person coughs or sneezes and which fall quickly to a


But a study published March 17 in the New England Journal of Medicine

found that, when the virus was suspended in a mist under laboratory

conditions, it remained "viable and infectious" for three hours

- though researchers have said that period would probably be no more

than a half-hour in real-world conditions.

One of the authors of that study, Jamie Lloyd-Smith, a University of

California, Los Angeles infectious disease researcher, said it's

possible that the forceful breathing action of singing dispersed in

the church room viral particles that were widely inhaled.

"One could imagine that really trying to project your voice would

also project more droplets and aerosols," he said.

With three-quarters of the choir members testing positive for the

virus or showing symptoms of infection, the outbreak would be

considered a "super-spreading event," he said.

Linsey Marr, an environmental engineer at Virginia Tech and an expert

on airborne transmission of viruses, said some people happen to be

especially good at exhaling fine material, producing 1,000 times more

than others.

Marr said that the choir outbreak should be seen as a powerful

warning to the public.

"This may help people realize that, hey, we really need to be

careful," she said.

The Skagit Valley Chorale draws its members from across northwest

Washington and often sells out its winter and spring concerts at the

650-seat McIntyre Hall in Mount Vernon.

Amateur singers interested in choral music tend to be older, but the

group includes some young adults. Last year, Burdick worked some

hip-hop into one number.

The next big performance on the group's schedule was in late April,

peak tourist season, when the annual Skagit Valley Tulip Festival

attracts more than a million people to view brilliant hues in meadows

surrounding Mount Vernon.

The festival would soon be cancelled, but nothing had been announced

yet and the choir was continuing to prepare.

Carolynn Comstock and her husband, Jim Owen, carpooled to the March

10 practice from the nearby city of Anacortes with their friends Ruth

and Mark Backlund.

Carolynn and Jim, who ran a home remodeling business together, had

been singing with the choir for 15 years and thought of it as a

centering force in their lives. They had introduced the Backlunds to

the choir.

The two couples entered the rented church hall - roughly the size of

a volleyball court - and offered their hands for the disinfectant.

Cushioned metal chairs extended in six rows of 20, with about a foot

between chairs and one aisle down the centre. There were twice as

many seats as people.

Comstock, a soprano, and Owen, a tenor, took their usual seats beside

each other in the third row. The rows toward the front and center

filled up around them.

Burdick, 49, stood facing his choir, with an accompanist to his right

seated at a grand piano.

Given the anxiety over the coronavirus, the conductor decided to lead

off with a piece called "Sing On."

The singers inhaled deeply, and sang the chorus with gusto: "Sing on!

Whatever comes your way, sing on! Sing on!"

The choir moved on to other numbers, including a popular spiritual

piece written by gospel legend Thomas A. Dorsey: "If we ever needed

the Lord before, we sure do need Him now."

At one point the members broke into two groups, each standing around

separate pianos to sing.

When it was time to leave, Burdick's wife, Lorraine, a contralto who

also sang professionally, refrained from her custom of embracing


Instead, she curtsied her goodbyes.

Three days later, Comstock felt chills. A sweater didn't help. She

took her temperature: 99.3.

She and Owen cancelled their plans for dinner that night at the

Backlunds' house.

At 9pm, she got a text from Ruth Backlund. Ruth, 72, and Mark, 73,

had fevers.

Burdick woke up the next day, March 14, with a fever. As his

temperature rose to 103, he began hearing from other choir singers.

They felt fatigued and achy. Some had fevers, coughs and shortness of

breath they had heard were telltale symptoms of Covid-19. Some had

nausea and diarrhoea.

On March 15, Comstock, 62, noticed something odd when she made pasta.

She couldn't taste the sauce, a spicy Italian sausage. She would soon

learn that loss of taste and smell was a common symptom too.

When Owen, 66, first felt sick that day, he found that his

temperature was below normal, a symptom that continued. The same day,

the Backlunds tested negative for influenza.

Their clinic sent out their samples for coronavirus tests, which

would come back four days later showing they both had Covid-19.

On March 17, a choir member alerted Skagit County Public Health about

the outbreak.

Working from the choir's membership roster, a dozen health officers

scrambled for three days to contain the outbreak. They called every

member, determining who had attended the rehearsal.

They asked each person with symptoms to list their close contacts

during the 24 hours before illness set in. Then they called those

people, telling anyone who felt sick to quarantine themselves.

"We think it was just a really super-unfortunate, high-risk

occurrence," said Dubbel, the county health official.

Mark Backlund felt himself slipping, but not as badly as a friend a

decade younger, a runner, who was rushed to the hospital with

pneumonia. Both men would ultimately recover.

On March 18, Burdick received a message from Nancy "Nicki" Hamilton,

an 83-year-old soprano, known for her political activism and tales of

international travel. She was worried about a fellow member.

Three days later, he received another call. Hamilton had been rushed

to the hospital soon after he had talked with her and now she was


Word quickly spread among the choir members, many of them sick and

left to grieve alone in their homes.

Health officials said all 28 choir members who were tested for

COVID-19 were found to be infected. The other 17 with symptoms never

got tested, either because tests were not available or -like

Comstock and Owen - the singers were under the impression that only

people in dire condition were eligible.

The youngest of those sickened was 31, but they averaged 67,

according to the health department.

In their split-level home, Burdick and his wife kept distance between

themselves for a week. But Lorraine got sick anyway.

The Burdicks had been heartened to hear that another woman in the

hospital - an alto in her 80s - seemed to be getting better.

But this past Friday, the conductor got another call. She had died.

And another woman, a tenor, had been rushed to the hospital.

Others felt the disease waning. Fifteen days after the rehearsal,

Comstock squirted shampoo into her hand and experienced an odd and

pleasing sensation.

It smelled. Like coconut.

Marr, the Virginia Tech researcher, said that the choir outbreak

reminded her of a classic case study in the spread of infectious


In 1977, an Alaska Airlines flight returned to Homer, Alaska, after

experiencing engine trouble and sat on the tarmac there for four

hours with the ventilation system off.

Of the 49 passengers on board, 35 developed flu symptoms and five

were hospitalized. Researchers ultimately traced the outbreak to a

woman who felt fine when she boarded but later became ill.

The case jolted epidemiologists into the realization that influenza

could spread through the air.

Research has already shown that the coronavirus is nearly twice as

contagious as influenza and far more deadly.

There is still much to learn about the choir outbreak, starting with

the original source of the virus.

Dubbel, the county official, said she hoped that a study would be

conducted someday to determine how the infection spread. But for now,

her team is swamped trying to contain additional outbreaks.

Marr said that researchers will have lots of questions for choir


Did the singers sit in customary seats, allowing them to recall their

locations that evening and help reconstruct the layout of the room

and its occupants?

Might the 15 people who did not get sick have sat together?

By Sunday, 99 people had tested positive in Skagit County.

It could be months before the choir meets again. The Backlunds,

though, have started singing again - an alto and a bass together in

their living room.

The couple, and Comstock and Owen, would like to know if they have

antibodies against the virus, so it would be safe for them to deliver

meals and find other ways to help as the infection spreads.

Comstock marveled at the randomness of it all.

"It's just normal random people doing things that they love to do,

and all of a sudden some people are dead," she said. "It's very


Related Topics: