Cape Town - Many of us watch movies and series for entertainment and escapism.
We often don't appreciate some of the good quotes and life lessons that come out of the movies, mostly because we dismiss them as fiction.
However, over the years, there have been tremendous movies and shows with strong female leads that have taught us a thing or two about life and love.
We take a look at 8 of our favourite quotes:
1. You cannot live your life to please others. The choice must be yours. – White Queen, from Alice in Wonderland
It is exhausting - and impossible - to even try to please everyone. Why would you, anyway? It's your life, and you should live it the way you feel fit.
2. Calling someone fat doesn’t make you any skinnier. Calling someone stupid doesn't make you any smarter. All you can do in life is try and solve the problem in front of you. – Cady, from Mean Girls
Sadly, there are so many incidents of woman-on-woman hating. But what will bringing down another woman achieve? Absolutely nothing. You do you, boo, and try your best to find the answers to problems you currently face.
3. I dedicate this, my last editorial, to an extraordinary woman who lived by example and compelled us all to see the world through new eyes. By the time you read this, she'll be sailing to Europe, where I know she'll find new walls to break down and new ideas to replace them with. I've heard her called a quitter for leaving, an aimless wanderer. But not all who wander are aimless. Especially not those who seek truth beyond tradition; beyond definition; beyond the image. — Betty Warren, Mona Lisa Smile
This hard-hitting quote is a lesson to carry through with you until your last: Go beyond. Don't get stuck in that cozy comfort zone. Bend the rules a little bit. Bend, not break, otherwise you end up in prison.
4. Just keep swimming - Dory , Finding Nemo
Okay, I know that Dory is not a female human. But she is a female fish with an valid life lesson. In human terms, Dory urges to never give up. Keep going and eventually you will get to where you need to be. It helped Martin find Nemo.
5. You must always have faith in people. And most importantly, you must always have faith in yourself. - Elle Woods, Legally Blonde
Having faith in humanity is difficult sometimes, but it's advisable. What is not only advisable, but mandatory is having faith in yourself.
It's easy to delve into that 'I can't do this' zone, but that is not a good place to be.
6. I'm gonna break through or somebody gonna break through to me. - Claireece 'Precious' Jones, Precious
In the movie 'Precious', Claireece has faced a lot of hardships. But she was definitely not going to let that get in her way.
Life is filled with trials and tribulations. It is up to us to 'break through' them.
7. I’m gonna try something I may regret, but at least I’m gonna try it. - Alicia Florrick, The Good Wife
We have all done something we regret. We also have done things that we know we will regret but go through with it anyway because why not?
I would rather do something then regret it later, than do nothing out of the fear of regret.
8. I'm happy to disappoint you. - Ripley, Alien
After Ripley was insulted and 'mansplained' by an obnoxious authority who was 'disappointed' by her, she gave him a 'Boy, bye' proverbial middle finger with that quote. Ain't nobody got time fo' that.