Increasingly wealth managers are being asked about the costs of offshore education after matric by their high-net-worth clients due to a perceived decline in educational standards in South Africa. We investigated the costs and they are staggering. In South Africa, the average minimum cost of university tuition is around R35 000 a year.
Here are the minimum annual undergraduate tuition fees in US dollars for some top international universities.
- US: University of Michigan: $46 000 (R678 344); Brown University: $52 000.
- UK: University of Edinburgh: $26 000; University of Oxford: $32 000.
- Australia: University of Queensland: $26 000.
- Canada: University of Toronto: $32 000.
- Singapore: Nanyang Technological University: $12 000.