Sindiso Magaqa's relatives still believe he was poisoned.
AFTER two inconclusive toxicology tests, the family of slain former ANC Youth League secretary-general, Sindiso Magaqa, say they are losing hope about ever finding out the cause of his death.

Testifying at the Moerane Commission of Inquiry investigating political killings in KwaZulu-Natal, Sindiso’s cousin, Lwazi Magada, said the family believed that Magaqa was poisoned.

“He was shot from the knees down, it still doesn’t make sense that he had stomach aches and died two days later. The wounds were on his legs, not his torso or his body and we suspect poisoning,” said Lwazi.

Sindiso, a councillor and executive committee member at the Umzimkhulu municipality was shot in July with two other ANC councillors after attending a community meeting. He died in hospital in September.

Lwazi said Sindiso was recovering and was due to begin physiotherapy at the time of his death.

Sindiso was under 24-hour police guard at the Chief Albert Luthuli Hospital but this did not rule out foul play, he said.

“Nobody apart from the family was allowed to see him and we saw him under strict regulations."

Lwazi said the the family was dealt another blow when two toxicology reports came back inconclusive.

“The first toxicology test had been conducted in Durban and the second in Pretoria,” he said.

Lwazi said the family believed that Sindiso was killed for being vocal about "corruption and mismanagement of public funds in the multimillion-rand upgrades to the uMzimkhulu Memorial Hall".

“He never mentioned regional politics posing a danger to his life but after PR councillor, Mduduzi Tshibase and the municipal speaker, Khaya Thobela were killed, Sindiso told the family he knew he was next,” he added.

Asked about the suspect killed during an attempted cash-in-transit heist whom the Hawks believed had been linked to the murder of Magaqa, Lwazi said the family was confused as to how the police knew that the person was linked to the murder.

He said the family were struggling to cope financially as Sindiso was the sole breadwinner.

Hawks spokesperson Brigadier Hangwani Mulaudzi did not respond to questions yesterday.