The Gautrain. Photo: Chris Collingridge/ANA Archives
Gautrain management will be meeting up this afternoon hopefully to find a way to avert a mass “shutdown” planned for Monday.

Gautrain spokesperson, Kesagee Nayager, said although they could not give a formal statement regarding the planned strike, management would be meeting up later today to discuss the issue.

She said following the meeting only then would the parastatal be able to brief the public and the media.

The United National Transport Union (UNTU) today gave Bombela, operator of the Gautrain, a 48-hour notice that their members would be embarking on a protected strike from Monday.

UNTU General-Secretary Steve Harris, said the decision by members to go on a strike stems from wage negotiations which deadlocked last week.

Harris said the union and the management had been negotiating salary increases since May.

He said meetings with a facilitator had failed and the decision was then taken up by the CCMA which also failed to bring about an amicable agreement between the two parties.

As such the CCMA gave the union the "green light" certificate to proceed with the strike.

The union is demanding a 10% increase for workers, along with a housing allowance of R1600, transport allowance of R800 and incentive bonuses of R20 000 for all employees.

Additional demands include a 10% increase for nightshift allowance and medical aid contributions of 55% by the employer.

Harris said the issue of wage increases had been an issue for the past five years, with the management simply stating that was all they could afford.

“They haven’t given us a clear indication of their financial standing and this has led to a bad relationship between the employer and the employees.”