KFC assault victim shocked by bail ruling
Jacob Sono said he was not happy about the decision and how the accuseds' legal representatives went about it.
He said the last he heard was that an application was to be made to the high court, but no communication about the process was given to him and his wife afterwards.
He said: “I was surprised when I saw them outside today. But the whole system is fraught as the senior prosecutor did not even know they were released.
“I felt it was unfair for the judge to grant them bail without informing us or taking into consideration that they stay in the same area as we do.”
Sono said he was disappointed that the senior prosecutor, who knew the merits of the case, wasn't in court to oppose the application, but rather sent someone else who did not know enough to argue their case.
He said: “These people have literally changed my way of life, because I need to constantly be on painkillers and consult doctors. I wasn’t a sickly person before this incident.”
DJ van Rooyen, 21, Stephan Nel 39, and Joshua Scholtz, 21, were each granted R5 000 bail in the Gauteng High Court, Pretoria, on Tuesday. They join Ockert Muller, while 23-year-old Marius Harding abandoned his bail application. Muller was previously granted R5 000 bail.
Acting Judge Andre Petersen overturned magistrate Motlhoki Rapulana’s earlier decision to deny the men’s bail application on August 30. His ruling was due to the seriousness of the charges they faced and the public outcry which followed.