Independent Online

Friday, August 19, 2022

Like us on FacebookFollow us on TwitterView weather by locationView market indicators

Jailed accused in Hillary Gardee murder case wants bail to go to work

Mduduzi Gama, Philemon Lukhele and Sipho Mkhatshwa are accused of murdering Hillary Gardee. Picture: Oupa Mokoena/African News Agency (ANA)

Mduduzi Gama, Philemon Lukhele and Sipho Mkhatshwa are accused of murdering Hillary Gardee. Picture: Oupa Mokoena/African News Agency (ANA)

Published Jun 2, 2022

Share

Tshwarelo Hunter Mogakane

Pretoria - Lawyers representing one of the three men accused of abducting, raping and murdering 28-year-old IT entrepreneur Hillary Gardee say their client deserves to be released on bail in order for him to return to work.

Story continues below Advertisement

The 39-year-old first accused in the case, Sipho Mkhatshwa, works as an Integrated Development Plan facilitator in the City of Ekurhuleni’s Strategy and Corporate Planning Department.

He will be applying for bail tomorrow after he and his two co-accused, Philemon Lukhele, 47, and Albert Gama, 52, initially abandoned bail last month.

Mkhatshwa was arrested on May 6 after allegedly consulting a sangoma to cleanse him from a spiritual dark cloud linked to killing a person.

According to police records, the sangoma blew the whistle, leading to the arrest of Mkhatshwa and the two others following Gardee’s disappearance.

Hillary Gardee was laid to rest in Kwamagugu, Mbombela last month. Picture: African News Agency (ANA)

The discovery of her body at a plantation a mere 35 minutes away from her home in Mbombela caused a nationwide outcry, forcing Police Minister Bheki Cele to lead a top team of investigators to the scene.

On May 24, Mkhatshwa’s legal representatives approached the court with the intention of applying for bail on behalf of their client.

Story continues below Advertisement

The State intended to oppose bail, but could not do so due to a bereavement in the family of the investigating officer.

The case was then postponed to June 2. “Our client’s employer has made contact with him asking to know if he would remain detained for the rest of the trial, which they made clear that if that is the case, his continued detention would be treated as abscondment and dereliction of duty.

“We believe our client should be treated as the innocent man that he is, of course, until, and only if, this competent court has found otherwise,” said Mkhatshwa's attorney, Sebastean Bhila.

Story continues below Advertisement

He told the Pretoria News a dangerous precedent was being created where accused persons were deemed guilty without legal proceedings being exhausted first.

Pretoria News

Share