Picture: African News Agency (ANA)
Pretoria - The investigations surrounding reports of the type A influenza (H1N1) virus outbreak in Pretoria are under way, the provincial Department of Health has said.

This is despite the assurance that there was no outbreak of the virus, formerly known as swine flu.

The department said on Tuesday it was working closely with the National Institute of Communicable Disease to investigate the reports.

On Wednesday, the Pretoria News reported that five learners from the Loreto Convent Queenswood school had been hospitalised in the past week with the virus.

Subsequently, some parents called for the school to be closed. The children suffered symptoms such as sudden onset of cough, fever and body pains.

Education MEC Panyaza Lesufi closed down Laerskool Kenmare in Krugersdorp following the emergence of what he called “a flu-like disease”.

Health MEC Dr Bandile Masuku said they had noted the unconfirmed reports of the outbreak.

The MEC assured the public there was no outbreak.

“The department has notified the health facilities to be on the look-out for patients displaying symptoms of swine flu. I would like to allay any fears about the outbreak and spread of the disease.”

Pretoria News