University spokesperson Willa de Ruyter said campuses would remain closed because of ongoing and often violent student protest action since the beginning of the week.
Earlier this week, disgruntled students reportedly disrupted classes. They are demanding a meal allowance from the National Student Financial Scheme (NSFAS) and more accommodation.
Students also marched to the office of Higher Education Minister Naledi Pandor where police had to use stun grenades to disperse the crowds.
On Wednesday, students were advised to vacate residences and go home.
“Since there will not be any services available at on-campus residences and because management is concerned about the welfare of our students, they are therefore required to vacate residences for their own safety.”
De Ruyter said that the safety of the students, staff and TUT property on all campuses was management’s first priority.
She said due to the volatility and unpredictability of the situation, the university had no choice but to shut down academic activities for students, until further notice, in order to allow the situation to calm down.
She said that management would continue to engage with department, NSFAS and other important role-players.
Information on the recovery plan will be published on TUT’s website once approved by senate.
Scheduled activities at the university, including the upcoming graduation ceremonies, are expected to continue as planned. African News Agency (ANA)