'I will regain my title,' says Deontay Wilder
CAPE TOWN – Deontay Wilder have given a clear indication that he intends to revoke his rematch clause and set up a third fight against the WBC heavyweight champion Tyson Fury.
Fury floored the American last week, and speculation has been rife that there would be another bout between the two, instead of a unification fight with Anthony Joshua.
Wilder took to Instagram on Saturday to tell his followers that he intended to reclaim his title.
“Hello my people, my Bomb Squad army, my Bomb Squad nation, to all my loved ones around the world, I just want to let you know I’m here,” said the 34-year-old American.
“Your king is here. And we ain’t going nowhere, for the war has just begun.
View this post on Instagram
A post shared by Deontay Wilder(@bronzebomber) on Feb 28, 2020 at 5:51pm PST
“I will rise again. I am strong. I am king, you can’t take my pride,” he continued to his 2.9 million followers on the social network.
“I am a warrior. I am a king that will never give up. I’m a king that will fight to the death. And if anyone don’t understand that, don’t understand what it is to go to war, don’t understand what it is to fight, we will rise again.
“We will regain the title,” he said.
“I will be back. We will hold our heads up high. Your king is in great spirit. We will rise like a phoenix from the ashes and regain the title. I’ll see you in a few months, for the war has just begun,” he concluded.
Fury insisted after his fight with Wilder last week he would prefer to take on the American instead of his compatriot Joshua.