The boxing extravaganza that was to be staged by Golden Gloves Promotion (GGP) at Emperors Palace on September 1 is off.
This was confirmed by GGP secretary Shona McTaggart on Tuesday, a day which was originally scheduled to hold a press conference to officially announce the event.
Although details of the fighters who were to feature in the event were still sketchy, McTaggart confirmed that several world and national champions had already been secured.
Former three time world champion Masibulele Makepula and current International Boxing Organisation (IBO) featherweight champion Thomas Mashaba were among the fighters scheduled to feature in the show.
Mashaba was to defend his IBO title against American fighter Eric Aiken while Makepula was scheduled to battle for the vacant IBO junior bantamweight title against an opponent who was to be confirmed later.
The tournament was also set to celebrate GGP's 30-year anniversary.
McTaggart said GGP boss Rodney Berman decided to pull the plug on the tournament after securing the promotional rights of the IBF junior lightweight title eliminator between Cassius Baloyi and Gairy St Clair last week.
GGP is planning to stage the Baloyi-St Clair bout on November 10 at Emperors Palace.
"Rodney felt that to stage two boxing extravaganzas three months apart would not make sense," McTaggart said.
"We will combine the two tournaments on November 10 headlined by the eagerly anticipated Baloyi-St Clair clash. This will also celebrate GGP's 30-year anniversary." - Sapa