JOHANNESBURG – Cricket South Africa’s (CSA) chief executive Thabang Moroe has no concerns about whether South Africa is ready to host their debut T20 tournament next month.
“The plans for the T20 league are on course and going well and CSA are ready,” says Moroe.
For months, the tournament has been shrouded in uncertainty, and questions have been raised about whether South Africa’s debut T20 tournament would finally get off the ground after a failed attempt last year.
But Moroe says the cricketing body is now on track to host a world-class T20 tournament, having overcome several stumbling blocks in the past few months.
The tournament is set to kick off on November 16 and will run for a month.
“We are confident that we’ll be able to pull off a wonderful tournament. A lot of planning has gone into making sure that this T20 tournament is successful.”
It was a decision that ultimately cost then-chief executive Haroon Lorgat his job.
This year, under the new leadership of Moroe, CSA recommitted themselves to the tournament, but problems have persisted.
At least four of the previous T20 Global League owners have reportedly threatened legal action against CSA after they were told there were no guarantees that they would be owners in the new tournament.
Then, in June, CSA announced they had joined forces with SuperSport to form a company called Newco.
However, the deal collapsed, leaving Moroe and CSA on the ropes.
Two weeks ago, CSA announced they had struck a deal with the SABC, which gives the broadcaster rights to broadcast this year’s T20 Cricket League matches live.
“The league will comprise six teams now, and the hosting venues will be announced soon.
“We have made sure in our efforts that we attract the best players on the world stage, and we also have our very own quality players in the form of our Proteas players,” Moroe said.