CSA president Chris Nenzani. Photo: Sydney Mahlangu/BackpagePix

CAPE TOWN – The much-publicised T20 Global League has been postponed for a year, and will only be played in November 2018.

Cricket South Africa took the decision to delay the tournament following a board meeting on Tuesday morning.

The tournament was scheduled to start on Friday, November 3 at Newlands with a match between the Cape Town Knight Riders and Pretoria Mavericks at Newlands.

But the mooted T20 extravaganza has been beset by problems, most notably a lack of a TV broadcast deal, which ultimately led to the departure of former chief executive Haroon Lorgat.

The teams and owners are in place, though, but more will be revealed at a Cricket South Africa press conference later on Tuesday.

CSA president Chris Nenzani is also the chairman of the board, while vice president and acting chief executive Thabang Moroe has been tasked with handling the T20 Global League arrangements, and top of his agenda in the last week or so has been to negotiate a TV deal with SuperSport.

“We have not come to this decision lightly,” said Moroe in a statement later on Tuesday in confirming the decision.

“Having discussed it with all our stakeholders including the franchise owners, we believe that the interest of the league should be our first priority.

“We have reassessed our strategy and believe that postponing the first edition of the T20 Global League to next year will serve us well. We will regroup and come back stronger and better.

“At this time, we also wish to thank all the players, sponsors, broadcast partners, Saca (South African Cricketers Association) and Fica (Federation of International Cricketers) who have committed to the project.

“We appreciate the continued support of the individuals and organizations who have believed in this tournament,” added Moroe.

The franchise owners are in support of the decision.

“Having discussed it with Mr Moroe and Mr Nenzani, we have arrived at a unanimous decision to defer the inaugural edition to next year. We believe it is in the best interest of the tournament to do so,” said Osman Osman from the Pretoria Mavericks.


IOL Sport