COLOMBO – The Sri Lanka cricket board (SLC) confirmed their tour of Pakistan on Thursday after the Pakistan government pledged the same level of security to their players as is provided to visiting heads of state.
Sri Lanka are scheduled to play three one-day internationals and three Twenty20 matches in Pakistan between Sept. 27 and Oct. 9, but 10 key Sri Lankan players have already opted out of the series, citing security concerns.
The future of the tour was in jeopardy last week when SLC said it was reassessing the security situation in Pakistan after receiving a warning "of a possible terrorist threat" to its team.
The board issued a statement on Thursday saying that Sri Lanka's defence ministry has confirmed that it has received no information through any intelligence agency about a threat to the Sri Lanka team or the tour.
Sri Lanka's High Commission in Pakistan also has no information indicating a threat, SLC said, adding that Pakistan's army will coordinate the security arrangements.