CAPE TOWN, SOUTH AFRICA - JANUARY 03, AB de Villiers from the Proteas during day 2 of the 1st Test between South Africa and New Zealand at Sahara Park Newlands on January 03, 2013 in Cape Town, South Africa Photo by Carl Fourie / Gallo Images

Cape Town – South Africa declared just after lunch on 347 for eight on day two of the first Test against New Zealand at Newlands, in Cape Town on Thursday.

After the Black Caps were demolished with only 45 runs on the board, the Proteas held a lead of 302 runs.

Resuming on 335 for six after the break, they lost AB de Villiers (67) and Robin Peterson (5) before captain Graeme Smith gave the signal.

Picking themselves up after what was possibly the worst day in New Zealand’s Test history, the Black Caps took to the field on Thursday and were rewarded with the early wicket of Alviro Petersen.

On 103 overnight, Petersen faced four deliveries before Trent Boult struck with his first ball.

It nipped back a fraction and Petersen got an inside edge onto his stumps. His innings of 106 came off 176 balls and included 11

fours and a six.

Faf du Plessis got an outside edge to Chris Martin which flew to Kane Williamson at gully and Du Plessis departed for 15.

A loud cheer greeted Dean Elgar’s first Test run, after he made a pair on debut against Australia in Perth last year.

Skipper Brendon McCullum missed an opportunity to ask for a review when Elgar, on 18, played across a full delivery from Boult which hit him on the pads. Replays showed the ball had hit him plumb.

Elgar continued to scratch around for his 21 runs before he got a faint edge to Boult giving BJ Watling an easy catch behind the stumps.

AB de Villiers brought up his 30th Test half-century in 88

balls, scoring 11 boundaries, and went out on 66 after walking across his stumps, leaving them exposed to Martin’s delivery.

Vernon Philander joined Robin Peterson at the crease and with the declaration imminent, Peterson flicked the ball square for four and tried to do the same with the next delivery but Martin’s delivery was spot on and took out the middle stump.

Martin returned the best figures, bagging three for 63 while Boult took 3/78. Doug Bracewell and James Franklin shared the remaining wickets.

Dale Steyn struck almost immediately, getting the wicket of Martin Guptill with the last ball of the first over. – Sapa