Reds player Samu Kerevi is tackled during Saturday's clash against Jaguares in Buenos Aires. Photo: EPA/David Fernández

SAO PAOLO – The Queensland Reds will be arriving in Cape Town 15 hours later than scheduled when they finally jet into South Africa from London for their Super Rugby clash with the Stormers this Saturday.

The Australian website reported that the Reds were barred from boarding their flight to South Africa at Sao Paolo International Airport in Brazil, where they arrived after winning 18-7 over the Jaguares in Buenos Aires, Argentina over the weekend.

It is believed officials from South Africa Airways informed them they were not allowed onto the plane for their scheduled flight to Johannesburg because they had not been vaccinated for yellow fever.

However, the travel advice the Reds had received indicated it was not a requirement, since yellow fever is prevalent mainly in the northern part of Argentina and not the nation’s capital, where they played the Jaguares.

The team eventually ended up by flying to London where they will wait for the flight to South Africa.

The high-flying Reds will be hunting a fourth straight win when they face the Stormers at Newlands on Saturday evening. 

Meanwhile, Reds' back Karmichael Hunt has been fined $10,000 (R92 641) and given a four-match suspension in the aftermath of a drugs court case in which he pleaded guilty in December.

The decision was taken by Rugby Australia on Monday. Hunt is not currently a member of the touring squad on iots way to Cape Town.

However, he might be in action for the next game as Rugby Australia has decided that the suspension has already been served as Hunt voluntarily stood down after the incident and has missed all four games played so far by the Reds. 

Queensland have a bye in round seven, meaning his next available opportunity to play will be against the Brumbies at GIO Stadium on April 7, but that decision will be up to coach Brad Thorn.

African News Agency (ANA)

Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter