CAPE TOWN – The South African Football Association have denied any wrongdoing on their part, and says they will study a Fifa report that has ordered a 2018 World Cup qualifier to be replayed and then decide whether to appeal or not.
Fifa announced late on Wednesday night that a World Cup qualifier between Bafana Bafana and Senegal on November 12 last year – which South Africa won 2-1 – should be replayed due to “match manipulation” by referee Joseph Lamptey.
The Ghanaian official awarded a dubious penalty to Bafana just before halftime when Senegal’s Kalidou Koulibaly was adjudged to have handled the ball in the box.
However, replays proved that the ball had hit Koulibaly’s legs.
“Safa can confirm that we received a report from Fifa stating that we should replay our Fifa World Cup match against Senegal that was played last year on 12 November 2016 in Polokwane, which South Africa won 2-1,” Safa said in a statement.
“According to Fifa, this decision follows the confirmation of the Court of Arbitration for Sport (CAS) to uphold the lifetime ban of match referee, Joseph Lamptey, for match manipulation, the ruling imposed by the Fifa Disciplinary and Appeal Committees.
“In their letter, Fifa further suggests that the match will be replayed within the November 2017 international window, with the exact date to be confirmed in due course.
“Safa is studying the contents of the report and will issue a statement on intentions to challenge that decision.
“Safa wishes to also state categorically that it was in no way involved with any wrongdoing related to the actions of the referee, as stated in the Fifa report.
“In the meantime, all issues related to this matter will be handled by Senior Counsel, Mr Norman Arendse.”
Stuart Baxter’s men will gather once more next month for their next qualifier against Burkina Faso at the FNB Stadium in Johannesburg on October 7.