PARIS – Former France international Hatem Ben Arfa is seeking millions of euros of damages from Paris Saint-Germain for allegedly freezing him out in the final year of his contract, his lawyer told AFP on Monday.
The 31-year-old former Newcastle United midfielder lodged his claim with the Paris industrial tribunal last week, lawyer Jean-Jacques Bertrand said.
Ben Arfa joined PSG in 2016, but was sidelined from April 2017 until his contract expired at the end of last season.
He played in 23 Ligue 1 matches for PSG, often as a substitute, without scoring a single league goal.
French newspaper Journal du Dimanche reported he is claiming he was shut out after the club took exception to the player appealing directly to PSG’s owner, the emir of Qatar, over a lack of contact with the club’s president Nasser Al-Khelaifi.