BERLIN - Borussia Dortmund denied on Tuesday that a decision had already been made to let coach Peter Stoeger go at the end of the season.
The Bild newspaper reported that the Austrian would definitely leave the Bundesliga side once his short-term contract ends in June. Nice boss Lucien Favre has been widely tipped in the media as a replacement.
"We have always said that Peter Stoeger will be the first person we speak to. Up until now there have been no talks about how both sides see the future, therefore there has been no decision," Dortmund media director Sascha Fligge told dpa.
Stoeger was appointed on the short-term deal in December following the sacking of Peter Bosz.
The former Cologne coach made a solid start but defeat to Bayern Munich and Sunday's derby loss to Schalke have left fourth-placed Dortmund fretting over their Champions League spot. They were also dumped out of the Europa League.
Even Stoeger himself expects his contract not to be renewed.
"My deal runs until June 30 - I am fine with that," he told broadcaster WDR on Sunday.