STUTTGART - Sandro Wagner is a transfer target for German record champions Bayern Munich, according to his club Hoffenheim.
However, Hoffenheim coach Julian Nagelsmann said it was not yet certain the 29-year-old would move back to his previous club in the winter transfer window.
"There is nothing to announce but an interest in the transfer," Nagelsmann said.
The Bild paper reported on the potential move on Thursday and Sky Sports says Wagner has received permission to move pending a fee being agreed.
Wagner would not be first choice at Bayern but back-up to Polish star forward Robert Lewandowski.
Bayern coach Jupp Heynckes said he has "very high standards" for a potential new striker who must combine talent with the ability to integrate quickly.
"I don't want a South American who doesn't speak German," Heynckes told kicker magazine. "Who do you want to get in winter?"
Lewandowski, in a recent interview with Sport Bild, suggested Bayern should sign a back-up forward, but admitted finding someone willing to take on that role could be difficult.
Wagner, who made a handful of appearances for Bayern before being released in 2008, would also have to consider if less playing time would endanger his chances of making Joachim Loew's Germany squad for the 2018 World Cup.
Meanwhile, Hertha Berlin have signed Austrian attacking midfielder Valentino Lazaro on a permanent basis after previously loaning him from RB Salzburg.
"Valentino has shown from the beginning of his time us why we had signed him," sport director Michael Preetz said. "He has great potential and fits well into our team - that's why we're counting on him long-term."
Hertha did not give further details over Lazaro's contract. Lazaro had a slow start to life at his new club as he arrived while injured but has made appearances in the last five Bundesliga games.
Midtable Hertha host Borussia Moenchengladbach on Saturday.