Fagrie Lakay of Supersport United beats Horoya’s Aboubacar Camara in the air at Lucas Moripe Stadium on Friday. Photo: Sydney Mahlangu, BackpagePix

PRETORIA – SuperSport United twice came from a goal down at the Lucas Moripe Stadium on Friday evening to secure a 2-2 draw with Horoya in their opening CAF Confederation Cup match.

The hosts found themselves 2-1 down just after halftime, but rallied late to grab a share of the spoils thanks to a well-taken goal from Thuso Phala eight minutes from time.

There wasn’t much in the way of goalmouth action in the opening stages of the Group D fixture as neither side were able to find much penetration in attack.

And it was only in the 33rd minute that the first noteworthy save came, when SuperSport keeper Boalefa Pule kept out Jean Francis Ebele’s shot from the edge of the area.

But Ebele was to give the Guinea side the lead just a minute later when he looped a header over Pule after the SuperSport defence failed to react to a long throw.

However, a moment of individual brilliance from Keagan Ritchie saw the home team drawing level just five minutes later after the former Kaizer Chiefs left back curled in a sumptuous free kick from some distance.

Matsatsantsa ended the half with a spring in their step and looked good to go on and score the next goal.

But having survived the home side’s attacks, Horoya were to reclaim the advantage five minutes after the break when Baffour Kyei sent a grass-cutter into the bottom corner after having been given too much space 25 yards out.

Stuart Baxter would’ve been a relieved man after SuperSport United came back from a goal down. Photo: Sydney Mahlangu, BackpagePix

The goal stung the Tshwane team into action, but chances came and went as Aubrey Modiba shot over the bar before Fagrie Lakay missed the target by inches.

However, United continued to push for a goal, and they were rewarded in the 82nd minute when Phala did superbly to take down Reneilwe Letsholonyane’s pass before finishing coolly to ensure a point for Stuart Baxter’s side.

There were chances at both ends before the final whistle blew on an entertaining evening’s action in a cold and wet Attridgeville.

Also in Group D are DRC giants TP Mazembe and CF Mounana of Gabon, who are Matsatsantsa’s next opponents on May 23.

African News Agency (ANA)

Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter