PRETORIA, SOUTH AFRICA - AUGUST 05, Josta Dladla and Tebogo Langerman during the MTN 8 quarter final match between Mamelodi Sundowns and Kaizer Chiefs from Loftus Versfeld on August 05, 2012 in Pretoria, South Africa Photo by Lefty Shivambu / Gallo Images

Mamelodi Sundowns produced a sparkling performance to thrash Kaizer Chiefs 4-1 in a MTN8 quarterfinal at Loftus Stadium on Sunday.

Debut goals from Thamsanqa Sangweni, Tebogo Langerman and Edward Manqele, added to another strike from Lebogang Mokoena, saw the Brazilians notch up a record win over the Amakhosi, who scored their consolation goal through Reneilwe Letsholonyane and also missed a late penalty.

Sangweni got his Sundowns career to a dream start when he connected with an in-swinging corner kick from Teko Modise in the seventh minute powered home under a cloud of Chiefs defenders in the box to beat goalkeeper Itumeleng Khune.

Six minutes later it was another set piece struggle for Chiefs as they failed to clear out a corner kick and Langerman powered home a low left footed shot from inside the box.

Two minutes later Siyabonga Nkosi tried a long range shot with his weaker left foot from 30-yards but it went straight into the hands of Sundowns ‘keeper Wayne Sandilands.

In the 24th minute it was 3-0 to the home side. Modise swung in the ball into the box and Manqele headed on target; Khune saved, only for Mokoena to tap home from the rebound.

If Chiefs fans thought it was all over, then they had something coming their way as Sundowns had one more goal in them before the interval.

From a counter attack the Brazilians caught the Chiefs defence off guard as Modise crossed from the left wing and found the unmarked Manqele, who headed home from close range to make it 4-0 in the 37th minute.

The second half had no difference for Chiefs, who showed no hunger to get back into the match, whilst Sundowns continued to search for more goals.

But in the 64th minute Chiefs had a free kick from 25-yards only for Sandilands to make a good save to deny Parker

In the 72nd minute Chiefs had another chance when Parker sent a ball into the box and Ngcobo headed wide from six yards after the keeper had come out and certainly looked beaten.

But four minutes later Chiefs were to get their consolation goal when Ngcobo brought the ball back into the box, Parker shot and the deflected ball went onto the path of Letsholonyane, who finished from six yards out to make it 4-1.

The match had a late drama when Chiefs earned a penalty in the 86th minute after debutant defender Wayne Arendse was adjudged to have handled the ball in the box.

Josta Dladla stepped up but to take the penalty but his shot hit the post. That was the last meaningful highlight of the match as it ended 4-1 to the Brazilians, who join Orlando Pirates, SuperSport United and Moroka Swallows in the semifinal draw on Monday morning.

Mamelodi Sundowns (4) 4 (Sangweni 7', Langerman 12’, Mokoena 24’, Manqele 37’)

Kaizer Chiefs (0) 1 (Letsholonyane 76’)


Mamelodi Sundowns: W Sandilands, D Mampuru, P Masenamela, A Mabaso, M Mwanjale (W Arendse 40’), T Sangweni, H Kekana, T Modise, T Langerman (E Rogers 82’), E Manqele (Mushekwi 60’), L Mokoena

Kaizer Chiefs: I Khune, S Gaxa (Zvayisa 9’), M Gould, E Mathoho, J Jambo, R Letsholonyane, S Nkosi, J Dladla, A Nale (Ngcobo 55’), B Parker, L Majoro - Backpage Txt