LONDON - Steven Nzonzi is a major transfer target for Arsenal but the club have made it clear to manager Unai Emery that he must sell before he can bolster his squad.
Emery has spent the £70million he was allocated after bringing in Matteo Guendouzi, Bernd Leno, Sokratis Papastathopoulos and Lucas Torreira. Emery wants to spend another £25m to sign Nzonzi from Sevilla. The 29-year-old won the Europa League with Emery when the pair worked together in Seville. He also won the World Cup with France.
Emery’s need to raise funds could signal Aaron Ramsey’s departure. Chelsea have shown an interest in the Wales midfielder recently and the 27-year-old’s contract is set to run out next June. Jack Wilshere left on a free this summer and Arsenal are reluctant to see Ramsey do the same in 2019.
One player staying is 18-year-old Emile Smith Rowe, who has been rewarded for his fine pre-season form with a new five-year deal. Smith Rowe scored a stunning goal in a friendly against Atletico Madrid last week and has impressed Emery.
Exactly a year after signing his first professional contract, the Under 17 World Cup winner has been handed fresh terms worth £15,000 per week. Emery said: "I am pleased with Emile. He is working very hard and has lots of potential."
Meanwhile, Liverpool's Simon Mignolet is a £12.5million target for Barcelona, who need a back-up goalkeeper with Jasper Cillessen keen to leave. Mignolet also has interest from Besiktas. Liverpool winger Ben Woodburn is joining Sheffield United on a season loan.
Crystal Palace have held positive talks with free agent Germany international Max Meyer. Meyer (right), who has four caps, left Schalke at the end of the season and the 22-year-old forward is expected to have a medical after Roy Hodgson sold him on a move to south London.
Everton have asked about Villarreal’s Russia forward Denis Cheryshev, 27, who scored four goals at the World Cup. Left back Lucas Digne had his Everton medical on Tuesday ahead of signing from Barcelona.
Other transfer news:
- Manchester United keeper Joel Pereira is joining Vitoria Setubal on a season-long loan, while Wolfsburg want United left back Luke Shaw but he is staying at Old Trafford.
- West Bromich Albion have agreed to pay Yeovil £400,000 for full back Tom James and goalkeeper Boaz Myhill has re-signed on a one-year deal. Graeme Jones is also joining as assistant manager.
- Manchester City have signed defender Philippe Sandler, 21, from PEC Zwolle.
- Brighton have made an improved £8m bid for Sheffield United centre back Jack O’Connell. Brighton have already had a £6m offer turned down for the 24-year-old.
- Fulham are set to complete the £15m signing of defender Alfie Mawson from Swansea following his medical on Tuesday and have held further talks over a potential deal for Wolfsburg midfielder Josuha Guilavogui, 27.