Malcom has left Bordeaux for Roma. Photo: REUTERS/Robert Pratta
Malcom has left Bordeaux for Roma. Photo: REUTERS/Robert Pratta
Chancel Mbemba has joined FC Porto. Photo: Action Images / Lee Smith Livepic
Chancel Mbemba has joined FC Porto. Photo: Action Images / Lee Smith Livepic

NEWCASTLE - Defender Chancel Mbemba has joined Portuguese champions Porto from Newcastle United, the English Premier League side said on Monday.

The Democratic Republic of Congo international joined Newcastle from Belgium's Anderlecht in 2015 and made 59 appearances for the English club, including 11 last season. Newcastle did not disclose financial details of the deal, but British media reported that the club would receive about 5.5 million pounds ($7.20 million) for the player.

The 23-year-old could line up against his Newcastle teammates as soon as Saturday, when the sides face each other in a pre-season friendly. Newcastle boss Rafael Benitez has acquired three players so far, including converting the loan signing of goalkeeper Martin Dubravka into a permanent transfer from Sparta Prague for a reported 4.5 million pounds.

Benitez has also signed former Swansea City midfielder Ki Sung-yueng on a free transfer and brought in winger Kenedy on loan from Chelsea. The Spaniard is keen to strengthen his squad and improve on last season's 10th place league finish, but needs to sell players to free up funds for incoming transfers.

Mneawhile, AS Roma have reached an agreement to sign highly-rated Brazilian winger Malcom from Girondins Bordeaux, the Serie A club said on Monday. Financial terms of the deal were not disclosed, but Italian media said Roma will pay around 37 million euros ($43.29 million) for the 21-year-old.

"The club can confirm that an agreement has been reached with FC Girondins de Bordeaux for the transfer of Malcom, subject to the player completing a medical and agreeing personal terms," Roma said in a statement.

"The Brazilian will arrive in Rome shortly in order to complete the final aspects of the transfer." Malcom joined Bordeaux from Brazilian side Corinthians in January 2016, and scored 23 goals in 96 appearances for the Ligue 1 club.

British media reported earlier this week that Everton were interested in signing Malcom, while Tottenham Hotspur also monitored the player's progress before signing Lucas Moura from Paris St Germain in January. Malcom will become Eusebio Di Francesco's ninth outfield signing following the likes of Javier Pastore, Justin Kluivert, Davide Santon and Bryan Cristante.

Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter