DURBAN, SOUTH AFRICA - DECEMBER 22, Lerato Chabangu celebrates the opening goal during the International friendly match between South Africa and Malawi from Moses Mabhida Stadium on December 22, 2012 in Durban, South Africa Photo by Anesh Debiky / Gallo Images

Johannesburg - Two goals in seven minutes helped Kaizer Chiefs come from behind to beat Free State Stars 2-1 in their Premiership match at FNB Stadium on Saturday.

The win moves Chiefs back to the top of the table on 39 points from their 18 matches, two ahead of Orlando Pirates who have played one game less.

Going the break goalless, the game sparked into life in the 50th minute as the visitors took the lead through a wonder strike from Fikru Lemessa.

Chiefs had controlled much of the game up until that point, and the goal seemingly knocked the wind out of the pacey Amakhosi lineup.

The reply from the Soweto side took 26 minutes. Reneilwe Letsholonyane drew the scores level with a high-class header from in the box to ignite the home crowd.

Chiefs immediately took control of the game and when they were awarded a free-kick in a dangerous position just outside the box, Bernard Parker only had the winning goal on his mind. Parker stepped up and deposited the ball into the corner of the net, to wrestle the win and all three points for Chiefs.

Stars with the loss remain on 28 points in fourth spot on the log.

Earlier, in the third minute, a Parker free kick from outside the box hit the wall and the rebound fell to Siphiwe Tshabalala. The midfielder's cross founud Tefu Mashamaite, but he was in an offside position.

Six minutes later, Erick Mathoho went for a shot from range but scuffed his effort.

Luyolo Nomandela for the visitors made a strong run down the left on the quarter hour mark, and made his way past two Chiefs defenders, but his cross could not find a teammate.

Tsepo Masilela went for goal from inside the area but his shot was wide in the 20th minute.

Stars had a sharp attack snuffed out in the 21st minute through the sharp reactions of Itumeleng Khune. Dove Wome ran after a ball behind the Chiefs defence, but Khune saw the threat and reacted quickly to come off his mark, and dive on the ball before the Stars player arrived.

In the 23rd minute it was the turn of Mathoho to have a dip at goal.

His powerful shot from range, however, found the safe hands of Kennedy Mweene in the Stars goal.

Nomandela was involved again for Stars in the 25th minute. Nomandela with space on the left made his way into the Chiefs box, but failed to challenge Khune as his shot was pulled wide of target.

Two minutes later, a ball floated into the Stars box, and Kingston Nkatha had a deft touch on the ball but could only watch as the ball sailed inches over the crossbar.

In the 42nd minute, a well-executed free kick from Tshabalala found the head of Nkatha but his header was marginally over target.

On the stroke of half-time, a Tshabalala corner allowed Mashamaite a header from an unmarked position at close range but the shot was just over the crossbar.

Lemessa - against the run of play - produced a moment of brilliance to stun the dominant Chiefs outfit in the 50th minute. Lemessa from just outside the box took a touch, swiveled and in acrobatic fashion deposited the ball into the top corner of the net which had ace Chiefs goalkeeper Itumeleng Khune reduced to spectator.

The goal in the 76th minute from Letsholonyane, came after a Chiefs free-kick had initially been blocked, but Tshabalala followed-up and crossed for his teammate to help level the scores.

The 83rd minute free kick from Parker found the back of the net to seal a valuable win for the hosts. - Sapa