Golden Arrows weren't able to get the better of Free State Stars in their league encounter in Durban. The two teams played to a 1-1 draw. Photo: Gerhard Duraan/BackpagePix

Lamontville Golden Arrows (0) 1

Free State Stars (0) 1

It was a day of missed opportunities for Lamontville Golden Arrows and Free State Stars as they played out to a draw at Princess Magogo Stadium in KwaMashu in an Absa Premiership tussle. 

Arrows required the maximum points to sneak in to the Top 8 while Stars were desperate to earn the three to go third on the log. 

A victory would have meant Top 8 for Arrows as Bidvest Wits are occupying number 8 are on Caf duty and they aren't scheduled to play in domestic matches this weekend. 

The shared points means neither team made a move on the log. 

It was clear that both sides didn't want to concede in the first 10 minutes of the match. 

The box to box action was minimal while no clear cut chances were created. Free State Stars manager Luc Eymael was back on the bench after serving his two match ban for his actions against AmaZulu. 

He was vocal as usual on the touch line. 

Lerato Lamola went close to open the scoring for Arrows after a good quick one-two with Velemseni Ndwandwe but his shot went over the bar.

Match referee Victor Hlungwane offered both sides a water break after 25 minutes. 

It was blistering hot in Durban which may have an effect on the pace of the game. 

Arrows and Stars are known for their pace and exuberance but it was lacking in this encounter. 

Abafana Bes'thende dominated possession but lacked creativity and the precision in the final third. 

It came as no surprise that the game went in to the interval both sides still locked at 0-0. 

Arrows came back invigorated after the interval and Jabulani Shongwe smacked the post four minutes in to the second half. 

But it was Stars who took the lead after 54 minutes as Patrick Phungwayo stormed forward and delivered a dangerous cross on the left and side, Nkanyiso Mgwengwe tried to clear the ball but he found the back of his own net. 

Super-sub Siphelele Magubane who came in for Ndwandwe netted the equaliser for Abafana Bes'thende after 75 minutes. 

Ali Sangare made two match winning saves towards the end of the match to deny Knox Mutizwa and Magubane. 

Arrows piled more pressure in the last 10 minutes but their effort were not rewarded. 

Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter