Despite having only three fit strikers currently available in their squad, Kaizer Chiefs have opted not to sign Argentinian striker Jonatan Philippe.
The former Boca Juniors player has been on trial at Naturena for a number of weeks, but as IOL Sport reported recently, coach Steve Komphela has decided to release the 29-year-old.
“The guy is not special. Chiefs are in search of a box striker. They need someone who can stay in the box and finish chances. This guy has not impressed. He has been at Chiefs for three weeks,” a source told IOL Sport last week about Philippe.
Following the 1-1 Absa Premiership draw against Bloemfontein Celtic at the Free State Stadium on Sunday, Komphela said at the post-match press conference that he was happy with what he’s got upfront in the shape of Venezuelan Gustavo Paez and Bafana duo Bernard Parker and Ryan Moon.
Nigerian Okiki Afolabi is another striker being considered by Chiefs at the moment.
But with the transfer window closing in less than two weeks, the Amakhosi faithful will hope that Komphela and football manager Bobby Motaung do dip into the budget to secure another marksman, especially Chiefs missed a number of scoring opportunities in last week’s 1-0 MTN8 quarter-final defeat to SuperSport United, as well in Sunday’s league stalemate against Celtic.
In fact, Chiefs needed a central defender Mulomowandau Mathoho to score their lone goal against Siwelele, with a header from a corner by Keagan Buchanan.