It looks like George Lebese will finally leave Kaizer Chiefs. Photo: Ryan Wilkisky, BackpagePix

CAPE TOWN – It’s happening! After weeks of speculation, Kaizer Chiefs came out for the first time on Tuesday to confirm that they were in talks with Mamelodi Sundowns about a possible move for George Lebese to Masandawana.

Amakhosi coach Steve Komphela was the latest to insist that the talented midfielder Lebese was “still a Kaizer Chiefs player” due to the contract with the club.

In addition, Komphela said that he expected Lebese to be back at training on Tuesday, despite the fact that the 28-year-old left winger had been left out of the Chiefs mix for their two major pre-season events, the Champion Cup and Premier’s Cup.

On Tuesday night, Kaizer Chiefs said in a statement: “Kaizer Chiefs would like to confirm an approach by Mamelodi Sundowns for the services of winger George Lebese.

“The club’s football manager Bobby Motaung, who has been in talks with Sundowns over the possibility of a transfer, revealed: ‘We have received an offer from Sundowns. However, at this stage of proceedings, an agreement regarding a transfer fee has not been reached.’

“The club will give an update in due course on the matter.”

It has been said that a move for Lebese to the African champions could be a swap deal.

Independent Media reported on Monday that Sundowns midfielder Mzikayise Mashaba could be the man to go the other way to Lebese and turn up at Naturena, but Chiefs have not commented on that issue as yet.

Lebese is highly regarded in the Premier Soccer League, and could just find the home he needs at Masandawana under the guidance of champion coach Pitso Mosimane.

He appeared to express his frustration by tweeting in June: “All I wanna do is play football irregardless of what color tshirt I have on.”

“GL_17” also has six Bafana Bafana caps, which he earned between 2011 and 2015.

* This story has been updated.

 

IOL Sport