Kaizer Chiefs marketing director Jessica Motaung speaks to Sabelo Maziba in Durban on Tuesday. Photo: @KaizerChiefs via Twitter

CAPE TOWN – Kaizer Chiefs’ marketing director and daughter of the chairman, Jessica Motaung, travelled to Durban on Tuesday to visit Sabelo Maziba, the security guard who was viciously attacked by angry fans at Moses Mabhida Stadium on Saturday night.

Initially thought to have been a female security guard, Maziba was the official in the video that went viral on social media who was kicked in the head and battered with chairs by a group of fans following Chiefs’ 2-0 defeat to Free State Stars in the Nedbank Cup semi-final in Durban.

Maziba lay unconscious on the pitch after the beating, and the culprits eventually ran away as the police arrived to assist.

READ: Kaizer Chiefs charged by PSL for stadium violence

Rumours circulated that the security guard had died on Sunday, but stadium management released a statement that five people who needed hospital treatment had been discharged.

Premier Soccer League chairman Irvin Khoza named Maziba on Monday during a press conference, and on Tuesday, Jessica Motaung flew to Durban to see how he was doing.

READ MORE: Stadium violence accused appears in court

In a post on their official Twitter account, with a picture of Maziba and Motaung, the club wrote: “We are so glad that the security marshal, Sabelo Maziba is recovering well after he was beaten up on Saturday at the stadium and left unconscious. Jessica visited him today in Durban to check up on him. We wish him a full speedy recovery. Love & Peace #KCOneTeam”

Kaizer Chiefs posted a number of thank-you messages to those fans who had tried to stop the violence, having slammed the guilty parties a day earlier.

The Amakhosi have also been charged by the PSL for misconduct and bringing the league into disrepute, and will appear in front of a disciplinary committee on May 3.

Police said that two men had been arrested, and one of the accused, Phelelani Jojisa, appeared in the Durban Regional Court on Monday.

The 32-year-old Jojisa’s case was postponed until Wednesday for investigators to verify his address. He is being detained at Durban central police station.



IOL Sport

Like IOL Sport on Facebook