Kudakwashe Mahachi converted a stoppage-time penalty for Golden Arrows against Platinum Stars. Photo: Aubrey Kgakatsi/BackpagePix

RUSTENBURG – Platinum Stars’ struggles continued when they lost 1-0 to Golden Arrows in a league match at the Royal Bafokeng Stadium on Wednesday night.

Roger de Sa’s Stars enjoyed the bulk of the chances in the game, but found the KZN side’s defence to be in a resilient mood before a stoppage-time penalty from Kudakwashe Mahachi took Arrows above Baroka FC on goal difference at the top of the PSL table.

The home team made a bright start and had a chance on five minutes when Bonginkosi Ntuli broke through, but Arrows skipper Limbikani Mzava did superbly to get back and make the tackle. 

Abafana Bes’thende defender Siyabonga Dube then also made a last-gasp interception on his goal-line as Stars continued to threaten.

The visitors had a chance on the 15-minute mark when a swift counter saw the ball worked to Mahachi, but the Zimbabwean fired wide.

Another opportunity followed, but Lerato Lamola had his shot well saved by Dikwena keeper Mbongeni Mzimela. 

However, for the most part, the Durban outfit battled to penetrate a determined Dikwena defence, and it was Stars who had the last chance of the half when Vuyo Mere fired over a 42nd-minute free kick.

Stars remained on top after the restart, but they couldn’t break the deadlock as Ennocent Mkhabela’s 52nd-minute header was kept out by Arrows keeper Nkosingiphile Gumede, who also stopped a pile-driver from Mere soon after.

The visitors were able to play themselves back into the game, but it was again Stars who threatened when Mere fired a low drive inches wide with 25 minutes to go.

Thabang Sesinyi was denied by a brilliant save by Gumede eight minutes later, while Ntuli continued to threaten the Arrows defence. 

Stars looked set for at least a point, only to concede in added time when Mahachi converted a 92nd-minute penalty for the Durban club after Ryan de Jongh had given away the spot-kick.

African News Agency (ANA)