Siyethemba Mnguni, who scored both AmaZulu goals, competes for possession with Dean Furman and Evans Rusike of Supersport United. Photo: Muzi Ntombela/BackpagePix

DURBAN – AmaZulu sneaked into the top eight after inflicting revenge on their arch-rivals Lamontville Golden Arrows in an entertaining KZN derby in Umlazi on Saturday night. 

Usuthu defeated Abafana Bes’thende 2-1 thanks to a well-taken brace by Siyethemba Mnguni.

Knox Mutizwa had fired Arrows into the lead earlier on.

The victory propelled Usuthu to seventh on the log. They are now tied with Baroka on 26 points after 20 outings.

Usuthu are ahead of Baroka because of goal difference. The win was sweet for AmaZulu as they were humiliated 4-1 in the first round at Princess Magogo Stadium.

They are now five games unbeaten, having won three and drawn two. 

Usuthu enjoyed a fair share of possession, but the decision-making in the final third let them down in the opening quarter.

Siyabonga Nomvethe came close to break the deadlock after curling in a good free kick that was saved by Nkongisiphile Gumede for the corner after 22 minutes. 

Velemseni Ndwandwe nearly put Arrows upfront with the header after 25 minutes, but Siyabonga Mbatha made a great reflex save to deny Abafana Besthende from taking the lead.

Subscribe to the IOL Sport Newsletter!

Mutizwa broke the deadlock after 51 minutes beating an offside trap and then put it between the legs of Mbatha. 

The goal ended a fourth successive clean-sheet for Usuthu. 

Snethemba Mnguni eqaulised for Usuthu, beating Gumede from close-range after 59 minutes after he was well-spotted by Sibusiso Mabiliso on the left-hand side.

Mnguni doubled his tally for Usuthu, capitalising on good work by Mabhudi Khenyeza after 62 minutes. 

Arrows were reduced to 10 men after 73 minutes as Danny Venter was shown a straight red card for dangerous play against Mabiliso. 

The game was not short of drama as the referee Christopher Harrison showed a straight red card to Michael Morton, who made a dangerous tackle on Limbikani Mzava after 78 minutes.


IOL Sport