DURBAN – Moses Mabhida Stadium in Durban is set to be announced as the hosts of the Nelson Mandela Challenge later today.
Independent Media has been reliable informed by a close source at the South African Football Association (Safa) that Mabhida will hosts the big spectacle next week Tuesday.
Nelson Mandela Bay Stadium in Port Elizabeth was identified as the suitable venue to hosts the match but they failed to agree terms with Safa.
As the result, the game will now be played at Moses Mabhida as Independent Online reported last week.
"Yes, the game is coming to Durban. Safa couldn't agree with the municipality at Nelson Mandela Bay Stadium. Durban raised their hands and they got want they wanted. It looks like the opponents will be Senegal. The acting CEO (Russell Paul) was still finalising that last night," a source said.
Bafana will hosts Nigeria at FNB Stadium on Saturday at 3pm in a very crucial, Afcon qualifier. They are currently second in their group with eight points after four matches.
After the game against Nigeria they will jet out to Durban where they will play the Nelson Mandela Challenge.
The former first democratic president, Nelson Mandela would have been 100 this year if he was still alive.
Dominic Chimhavi, the spokesperson at Safa declined to comment on the matter.
"I can't comment. We have the press conference at 1.30pm (to announce the venue and the opponents)," Chimhavi said.
Mabhida will hosts two big spectacles in one week. They will hosts Bafana on Tuesday and then the Soweto Derby between Kaizer Chiefs and Orlando Pirates on Saturday (24th of November).