Siyabonga Nomvethe goes around Reyaad Pieterse to open the scoring for AmaZulu against SuperSport United. Photo: Gerhard Duraan/BackpagePix

DURBAN – There was a lot to smile about for AmaZulu on Saturday night as they ended their seven-match winless streak in the league with a 2-0 win over SuperSport United at King Zwelithini Stadium in Umlazi.

Veteran striker Siyabonga Nomvethe and Ovidy Karuru found the back of the net for Usuthu.

The last time Usuthu collected maximum points was against Mamelodi Sundowns at Lucas Moripe Stadium on October 21.

Not only did Usuthu collect their first maximum points of 2018, but they defeated SuperSport for the first time in eight years at home, and broke their goal duck after 360 minutes.

The victory took AmaZulu to 13th on the Absa Premiership log.

Usuthu boss Cavin Johnson made several changes into the team that lost 2-0 against Baroka FC last week.

There was no place for the likes of Siphiwe Mtsweni, Thembela Sikhakhane, Samuel Darpoh, Booysen Mbatha, Jabulani Ncobeni and Rhulani Manzini.

Johnson opted to field Sibusiso Mabiliso, Sedate Ouro-Akoriko, Michael Morton, Augustine Ramphele, Karuru and Nomvethe.

Eric Tinkler made two changes to the SuperSport United team that ended an eight-match winless spell against Maritzburg United on Wednesday.

Injured Thabo Mnyamane was replaced by Onismor Bhasera and Clayton Daniels made way for Azibuike Egwuekwe.

Richard Boeteng, who operated at left back in the last match, was pushed to the left wing position, but lasted for just 30 minutes. The tactic backfired and he was sacrificed for Teboho Mokoena.

SuperSport were lucky not to concede during the first five minutes after Reyaad Pieterse committed a blunder as he tried to clear the ball, but ballooned it in the air and it fell in front of Mhlengi Cele, who fluffed the opportunity.

Ovidy Karuru celebrates his goal for AmaZulu against SuperSport United on Saturday. Photo: Gerhard Duraan/BackpagePix

Nomvethe did what he does best when he after 10 minutes when he slotted the ball into the back of the net as he was well spotted by Karuru, who played a telling pass to find the veteran striker.

Nomvethe hasn’t featured that much this season, although he has made an impact every time he has been given an opportunity.

Usuthu escaped when Morgan Gould hit the crossbar and the ball went straight into the hands of Siyabonga Mbatha, who was lying down after 17 minutes.

Nomvethe (40) was causing all sorts of problems for Usuthu on the left side with his clever runs.

Pieterse committed another blunder while trying to pass the ball to Dean Furman, and it was well intercepted by Zimbabwean Karuru, who made it 2-0 for Usuthu two minutes before the interval.

Subscribe to the IOL Sport Newsletter!

Tinkler brought in Darren Smith in the place of Reneilwe Letsholonyane, which was a clear intent for the equaliser.

He went for the 4-4-2 information. Aubrey Modiba missed a penalty for Matsatsantsa a Pitori after Mbatha brought down Kingston Nkhatha inside the box after 62 minutes.

Mbatha kept Usuthu in the game with some good reflex saves in the second half, denying the likes of Thuso Phala and Nkhatha.


IOL Sport