Thamsanqa Mkhize is challenged by Mduduzi Mdantsane of Baroka at Peter Mokaba Stadium on Tuesday. Photo: Samuel Shivambu/BackpagePix

CAPE TOWN – Cape Town City slumped to their fourth consecutive defeat in going down 2-0 to Baroka FC at the Peter Mokaba Stadium in Polokwane on Tuesday night. 

It was another frustrating evening for the Cape side as this was really a game they should have won quite comfortably.

But the issues that have plagued City all season were abundantly evident throughout the 90 minutes. In fact, if you wanted to sum up the Cape side’s season so far, it was all reflected in this performance against Baroka. 

City dominated possession and territory, they were in control of the game and they played some neat football, but were let down by shoddy finishing and a lack of composure in the penalty area. And, in failing to kill off the opposition, all their good work was undone by errors at the other end.

There were scoring opportunities aplenty for the Capetonians. Judas Moseamedi hit the upright and fired two other chances wide of goal.  Thabo Nodada shot wide, Lyle Lakay went close and Thami Mkhize was desperately unlucky not to get a penalty when he was clearly fouled in the penalty area.

But, as it always is in this cruel game of football, don’t let the opponent off the hook; invariably they’ll hit back and punish you. For City, it was schoolboy mistake that allowed Baroka to take the lead in the 35th minute. 

The Polokwane side scored from an intricately worked free-kick through Mpho Kgaswane – but, to be brutally honest, the goal was only scored because the City wall broke up during the routine: and, at professional level, that’s just unforgivable.

With Baroka content to sit back and defend their advantage, there was only one team in it the second half. It was one-way traffic, but the Capetonians continued to squander chance after chance – Moseamedi, Martin, Mkhize and substitute Shane Roberts all failed to make the most of inviting opportunities.

With the Citizens pushing numbers forward in search of an equaliser, they let themselves short at the back and Baroka hit them on the counter in the 90th minute, with Kgaswane’s trusty left foot again the scoring the goal.

City are back in action on Friday when they host Chippa United at the Athlone Stadium.

IOL Sport

Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter