Egwuekwe Azubuike made sure Supersport United got a point against Cape Town City after he scored an equaliser. Photo: BackpagePix

NELSPRUIT - SuperSport United and Cape Town City played to a 1-1 draw in an Absa Premiership fixture played at the Mbombela Stadium on Saturday afternoon.

It was a slow start for City as SuperSport had two early opportunities for Teboho Mokoena and Thuso Phala, but the former shot high and the latter fired wide.

But, once the Cape side had settled down and got into rhythm, they created quite a few openings. Left wing Aubrey Ngoma, in for his first start since a lengthy injury absence, was a highly influential presence. Thamsanqa Mkhize demonstrated City’s intent when he drilled a powerful shot wide and, soon after, Sibusiso Masina cut in, but his effort was deflected over the bar.

Ngoma then played in Victor Obinna with a delightful pass, but the Nigerian striker was foiled by a superb smother save from SuperSport goalkeeper Reyaad Pieterse. Two minutes before the break, Obinna returned the favour with a clever pass, but Ngoma’s attempt on goal was brilliantly saved by Pieterse.

But, on the stroke of half-time, there was no mistake when Ngoma was again in on goal, and this time he planted the ball into the net to give City a 1-0 lead.

SuperSport needed a response in the second half and coach Eric Tinkler’s move was to bring on Reneilwe Letsholonyane for Jeremie Brockie. City coach Benni McCarthy reacted with the counter substitution of removing Obinna and bringing on Austrian midfielder Roland Putsche. SuperSport’s Sifiso Miyeni had a great chance to level in the 67th minute, but City’s keeper Sage Stephens made a great save to deny the winger.

Ngoma then succumbed to the rigours of his return to the starting team and was replaced by Lyle Lakay in the 70th minute.

Bradley Grobler should really have levelled for SuperSport in the 78th minute, but could only direct his header wide of the target. Phala also had an opportunity late on, but fired high and wide. 

SuperSport kept piling on the pressure, so something had to give, and it did six minutes into injury time, when Nigerian defender Egwuekwe Azubuike headed in to level it at 1-1. 

African News Agency 

Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter