Johannesburg – First-half goals from Ronald Ketjijere and Atusaye Nyondo set University of Pretoria on their way to a first Premiership victory of the season as they edged out Chippa United 2-1 at the Nelson Mandela Bay Stadium in Port Elizabeth on Wednesday.

Namibia captain Ketjijere fired the visitors ahead with a clever chip after only three minutes, before Malawian Nyondo doubled the advantage just after the half-hour.

David Zulu did manage to pull a goal back for last season's National First Division (NFD) champions, but they failed to find an equaliser and slipped to a second loss in three games in the process.

Tuks started the game with a loss and one defeat from their opening two games and they received the perfect start when Ketjijere's right-footed strike sailed over the helpless Tshepo Motsoeneng.

The men from Tshwane continued to press forward and Thabo Mosadi, Nyondo and Geoffrey Massa free-kicks all came close to extending the lead.

Chippa finally managed to breach the untroubled Tuks defence midway through the half courtesy of Zulu, although the final shot from the midfielder failed to trouble goalkeeper Washington Arubi.

The Chilli Boys fell further behind after 33 minutes as Nyondo's drilled effort along the ground from inside the area gave Motsoeneng little chance.

Chippa did manage to get the ball into the back of the net before half time, but William Twala's effort was ruled out for off-side.

Zulu did brilliantly to halve the deficit five minutes into the second half when he lashed home expertly following a fine cross from former Orlando Pirates winger Joseph Molangoane.

It was almost level after 70 minutes when Mbhuyiselo Sambu's strike from outside the box forced Arubi to react sharply and punch the danger clear.

That proved to be the last big chance for the home side as Denver Mukamba twice squandered late chances to make the game safe.

But it was still enough as Steve Barker's side held on to climb to eighth on the table with Chippa falling to ninth. – Sapa