FC Barcelona have released a statement explaining Wednesday’s sudden developments in Neymar’s long-rumoured move to French giants Paris St Germain.
The player arrived at Barcelona training on Wednesday morning as scheduled, after returning to Spain on Tuesday night following a promotional trip to Shanghai, China.
However, he left the training ground less than an hour later, and the club subsequently took to social media to explain that he had been allowed to miss training with the coach’s permission.
In a statement published some three hours later on the club’s official website, Barcelona said that he had requested a transfer.
Neymar Jr hasn't trained on Wednesday with the permission of the coach #FCBlive
“The player Neymar Jr, accompanied by his father and agent, has informed FC Barcelona this morning of his decision to leave the club in a meeting held at the Club’s offices,” read the statement.
“Faced with this position, the Club has informed them they refer to the buy-out clause of his existing contract which as of 1 July totals 222 million euros which will have to be deposited in its entirety.
“Furthermore, in reply to the claim for the contract extension bonus, the Club has once again made it clear that the amount remains deposited with a notary until the case is resolved.”
“The player remains under contract at FC Barcelona but with temporary permission to not take part in training sessions.”
Earlier, a Barcelona spokesperson was anonymously quoted as saying that the Brazilian had also informed his teammates that he will leave the club.
"The player came to train as scheduled and announced to his teammates that he is leaving," the spokesperson is reported to have told AFP.
"The coach has given him permission to not train and to manage resolving his future."
PSG are yet to comment on the matter, but it has been reported that the French club are willing to meet Neymar’s 222 million euro buyout clause.