Andy Murray lost to Nick Kyrgios on Tuesday in what was his first competitive match in almost a year. Photo: AP Photo/Kirsty Wigglesworth

LONDON - Britain's Andy Murray is unsure whether he will play at Wimbledon after competing for the first time in 11 months against Nick Kyrgios at the Queen's Club Championships in London.

Murray, 31, has not played since last year's quarter-finals at Wimbledon because of a hip injury, which was corrected through surgery in January. The former world number one lost the match in three sets to Kyrgios, who advanced to the second round with a 2-6, 7-6 (7-4), 7-5 victory. Despite the Scot's gutsy and determined performance over two hours and 39 minutes on court, he remains uncertain of his plans for the grass season and says he "won't rule out" any options including the possibility of not entering Wimbledon, which begins on July 2.

"If I wake up and I really don't feel good, then that's obviously not a great sign for best-of-five set tennis at this stage," said Murray, who won Wimbledon in 2013 and 2016. "I won't rule out playing Eastbourne and not playing Wimbledon. I wouldn't rule out not playing a tournament next week and trying to get matches like in an exhibition tournament, as well, to get ready for Wimbledon.

"I'm not sure yet. However, if I pull up and feel okay, then that's a good sign. I mean, at the end of the match I was certainly tired, but it wasn't like I was completely off my feet and didn't feel like I could move anymore and stuff. Potentially if it was a five-setter, that could have been another hour and a half of tennis and, you know, probably would have been difficult for me. So that's something I'll need to kind of assess over the next day or so."

Even though, this loss can be seen as a positive performance given Murray's lengthy absence from the sport, Murray said his remarkable return at Queen's was a tight call after little preparation. "I'm really happy that I got on the match court and played. You know, it was a close decision," he said.

"I have not been practicing loads at all. I have been hitting for a couple of weeks, I really haven't played a whole lot of tennis, so I'm happy I got out there and competed and performed respectably, because I don't know exactly what's best for me just now."

Murray insists he is still driven to perform at the top level despite suffering a loss on his return. "I have very high expectations," he said. "I was very close to winning and probably could have won that. I'm disappointed and frustrated that I wasn't able to. But then hopefully, in a couple of days I'll be able to reflect on it and think, you know, actually considering the circumstances, [that] it was a positive step forward."

Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter