Independent Online

Tuesday, June 28, 2022

Like us on FacebookFollow us on TwitterView weather by locationView market indicators

Wimbledon cancelled for the first time since World War II

A security guard outside the main gates to Wimbledon as it is announced the the Wimbledon tennis Championships for 2020 has been cancelled due to the coronavirus in London, Wednesday, April 1, 2020. Photo: AP Photo/Kirsty Wigglesworth

A security guard outside the main gates to Wimbledon as it is announced the the Wimbledon tennis Championships for 2020 has been cancelled due to the coronavirus in London, Wednesday, April 1, 2020. Photo: AP Photo/Kirsty Wigglesworth

Published Apr 1, 2020

Share

LONDON – The Wimbledon tennis championships were cancelled for the first time since World War Two as the coronavirus pandemic wiped another blue-riband sports event off the calendar on Wednesday.

While the decision had looked inevitable for some time, since the virtual shutdown of world sport and the postponement of the Tokyo Olympics, Wimbledon had been one of the few events not to have been officially cancelled or postponed.

Story continues below Advertisement

But after emergency talks between the various stakeholders over the last few days, the All England Lawn Tennis Club (AELTC) announced that it was impossible for the grasscourt Grand Slam, scheduled for June 29-July 12, to take place.

"It is with great regret that the main board of the All England Club and the committee of management of the championships have today decided that The Championships 2020 will be cancelled due to public health concerns linked to the coronavirus epidemic," the AELTC said in a statement. 

"The 134th Championships will instead be staged from June 28 to July 11, 2021."

It is with great regret that the AELTC has today decided that The Championships 2020 will be cancelled due to public health concerns linked to the coronavirus epidemic.

The 134th Championships will instead be staged from 28 June to 11 July 2021. https://t.co/c0QV2ymGAt

— Wimbledon (@Wimbledon) April 1, 2020

Story continues below Advertisement

The men's ATP Tour and women's WTA Tour are already suspended until at least June 7 but it looks extremely unlikely that any professional tennis will be possible throughout the northern hemisphere summer as the pandemic worsens in Europe and the US.

Britain's death toll from the virus reached 2 352 on Wednesday, according to NHS figures.

The French Open, originally due to be held from May 24-June 7 has been postponed and controversially rescheduled by the French tennis federation for September 20-October 4, shortly after the end of the US Open.

Story continues below Advertisement

Former Wimbledon champion Amelie Mauresmo doubts whether either tournament will be played though.

"I think we're going to have to draw a line under the 2020 tennis season," Mauresmo said on Twitter this week.

"International circuit = players of all nationalities plus management, spectators and people from the 4 corners of the world who bring these events to life. No vaccine = no tennis."

Story continues below Advertisement

Uppermost in our mind has been the health & safety of all of those who make Wimbledon happen - the public, players, guests, members, staff, volunteers, partners, contractors, and local residents – as well as our responsibility to society’s efforts to tackle this global challenge.

— Wimbledon (@Wimbledon) April 1, 2020

Unlike the French Open which is played on clay, Wimbledon's scope for re-arranging the start date was extremely limited.

While Centre Court and Court One boast a roof, playing elite level tennis outside on grass would have been extremely challenging in late summer or autumn with a lack of light and problems caused by dew forming on the surface late in the day.

Shortening the format of the tournament, or playing behind closed doors, would also have proved extremely unpopular with the players.

Wimbledon has been held every year since 1946 after a six-year hiatus because the country was at war.

I’ve always had so many great memories at @Wimbledon. The grass season will definitely be missed but the most important thing right now for us to focus on is that we’re all staying healthy and safe at home. pic.twitter.com/Btlu9rMfDc

— Kevin Anderson (@KAndersonATP) April 1, 2020

Reuters

Related Topics:

Share