The murdered missing Chilean tourist Slavko ‘Kako’ Yaksic, right, with his family, from left, Sergio Yaksic jr, Yadranka Yaksic and Sergio Yaksic sr.
Durban - When a foul stench caught the attention of the community living on the outskirts of Ladysmith, they thought it was a dead dog.

It was only when a passer-by went to investigate, that they found it was the body of Chilean tourist Slavko “Kako” Yaksic. He was assaulted, stabbed and covered in a sleeping bag.

Yaksic, 29, was en route to Bergville. His body was found in a secluded spot a few metres away from the fence of Mathews Farm.

He was identified on October 13 by his father, Sergio, at the Ladysmith morgue after he travelled from Chile earlier this month to search for his son.

According to Mbongiseni Mzinyane, who lives on the farm, it was a local resident who made the discovery.

“We thought it was the smell of a dog’s carcass, because people often dump (them) in the same thicket he was found,” Mzinyane said.

He said the area was frequented by drug addicts who lived near the old railway line. It is believed he died on September 28.

His backpack, cellphone and passports were stolen.

Yaksic was last seen at a Christian mission house in Dundee, on September 25. Pastor Peter Hambidge of the Melusi Christian community, where Yaksic stayed, said he was brought to him by a mission employee, who saw him preparing to erect a tent on the side of the road.

Hambidge said Yaksic arrived on the evening of September 20 and stayed for a weekend. He said he prayed for his safety before Yaksic took off on his journey to Bergville.

“He said he liked Bergville because it was a small town. I also warned him that it was not safe and he must be careful when on the road.

“But he said he had been in far worse areas in Chile,” Hambidge said.

He said the tourist had an expensive camera and was taking pictures.

“Within the short period, he stayed with us, he left an indelible mark.

“He was warm and loving. He was an engineer who woke up one day with a vision to travel the world.

“He wanted to do something different with his life. He sacrificed his job for travelling countries,” he said.

“It feels like my own son has just been taken away from me.

“I pray that the killer is found soon to face the stiffest punishment for killing an innocent man,” he said.

SAPS spokesperson Colonel Thembeka Mbhele said there has been no arrest, the investigation is ongoing.

Sunday Tribune

Follow on Social Media