A large boulder was allegedly thrown from an overhead bridge on the N2 between Tongaat and Ballito last night killing two people. Picture : IPSS Medical Rescue

DURBAN - The three alleged rock-throwers accused of murdering the Haffajee siblings last December have been remanded in custody pending their bail application at the Verulam Magistrates Court on August 23.

The accused - Qiniso Bhekithemba Gumbi, 20, Nathan Govender, 27, and Selvan Govender, 46, each face two counts of murder and attempted murder.

On December 27 last year, Amina Haffajee, 16, and her young brother Abdul-Rahim were travelling with an elder male on the N2 towards Stanger when their white Toyota Corolla was struck with a large boulder.

The boulder, thrown from a bridge in the Tongaat area, crashed through the windshield and plummeted through the car striking the Haffajee siblings.

The pair succumbed to their injuries before reaching the hospital.

The hunt for the suspects led to a massive R100 000 award being offered for valuable information as condolences poured in for the Haffajee children.

Police spokesperson, Colonel Thembeka Mbhele said: “Extensive police investigation led to the arrest of three suspects. They appeared in the Verulam Magistrates Court on Friday and were remanded in custody until their bail hearing later this month.”

And in the wake of the December incident, Durban was hit with a string of such rock-throwing crimes, with victims escaping with injuries.

Bridges identified as hotspots have since been secured by the city with guards conducting regular patrols.

At the time, criminology expert at the Durban University of Technology, Monique Marks, said enclosed bridges would not address the core issues. She said at the time: "We need to understand the rationale behind this violence. There are many frustrated youth who feel they have no options left in life and turn to criminal behavior.”

SUNDAY TRIBUNE