Keegan Daniel, Matthew Bird, Siyanda Mwandla, Steve Cottingham, Mike Kerr and Odwa Ndungane.

Premier golfing estate Mount Edgecombe Country Club (MECC) will undergo a costly facelift in the new year, once plans are approved.

Acclaimed golf course designer Peter Matkovich has begun assessments on the MECC course and is expected to produce a report on construction and costs by month-end.

According to MECC director Micky Hough, Matkovich was mandated to create a blueprint and it's estimated that the project will take two years to complete.

“We feel that the club needs to keep modernising the golf course to ensure we remain competitive.

“The project is dependent on the changes that Matkovich advises and will be implemented as and when funds are available,” said Hough.

MECC previously underwent a multimillion-rand amendment when liable laws came into effect years ago.

“The existing par 5 hole, number 5, was changed due to the danger of golf balls in the shopping centre which runs parallel to the hole. It cost approximately R2 million to change into a par 4,” said Hough.

Recently when the Cornubia Interchange was being built, MECC had to change the hole again.

“This cost approximately R2.5m and was changed into a par 3. It now plays as a testing hole with water on the left and bunkers on the right side of the hole and has been changed to hole 7 on what is now known as The Woods,” he said.

SUNDAY TRIBUNE