File picture


Johannesburg- A 25-year old man’s alleged trail of death across two provinces was finally stopped when police arrested him over the weekend.

The man was on the run after he allegedly killed 13 people - four in KwaZulu-Natal last week and nine in Dube, Soweto last month. Only one person in KwaZulu-Natal is said to have survived his attacks.

He was arrested on Sunday at Dube Hostel as he was getting ready to return to KwaZulu Natal.

Johannesburg Metro Police Department spokesperson Senior Superintendent Wayne Minnaar said the arrest was a joint effort between the JMPD K9, Johannesburg Flying Squad and Soweto Flying Squad. Upon receiving information that led them to the alleged killer, he said, they acted very fast in pouncing apprehending him. 

Minnaar said: “The three units received a tip-off about the suspect’s whereabouts. The units responded to the information and reacted very fast.

“The units went to the hostel and arrested the suspect who was about to go back to KZN. The suspect was found with an illegal firearm in his possession,” he added.

Minnaar said though the man was armed, no shots were fired during the  arrest.