Tebogo Lekotje, the man whose 13 year old daughter was one of the seven relatives killed and buried under heaps of sands in their home is ready to "let go" of the past.
This was after one of the men accused of raping her daughter before killing her in October, Vusi Ernest Mabaso,
was found to have committed
suicide while in custody in Cape Town.
Lekotje was speaking after the court case of
Fifita Khupe at the
Protea Magistrate’s Court, where Mabaso's suicide was revealed.
According to police, the 27-year-old was found hanging in a police cell at the Cape Town Central Police Station.
He had been taken there as part of investigations into the murders.
He and Khupe were charged with multiple counts of rape, murder and robbery.
Lekotje said he did not want to concentrate on the case anymore.
"There is nothing I can do. I’ve cried, sought medical attention and spent huge amounts on that.
“She is gone and no one and nothing is going to bring her back. I’ve stopped wasting my energy on something I can’t control. It’s time to let bygones be bygones,” Lekotje said.
A close friend of the family, 57-year-old Mbali Khoza, said rumours of Mabaso’s death started circulating in the area last Friday. She believes he is not dead and that “there is a bigger force operating”.
“It really sickens me. I don’t want to lie. How and why was he held in Cape Town when this crime occurred in Vlakfontein - because Khupe’s family is there?”
Gauteng MEC of Safety and Community Sizakele Nkosi Malobane expressed her disappointment at the turn of events.